Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Holy Abomination!

Just the other day I came across something that just boggled my mind! I found an issue of Undersea Agent by Tower Comics, and who was on the cover? My favorite Hulk villain - the Abomination! Only this Undersea Agent comic pre-dates the first appearance of the Abomination by almost a year.

Undersea Agent #4 was released in August 1966. The Abomination first appeared in Tales to Astonish #90 in April 1967. The artist for both creatures? Gil Kane. Here's the cover to Undersea Agent #4...



Check that out! Now, let's look at the Abomination as he first appeared...



Notice anything familiar?

Here's a close-up of that monster from Undersea Agent #4 as he appears in the story...



Now, using a bit of Photoshop magic to cut the head fin off the undersea monster, we get the Abomination.




Here's a side-by-side.




Looks like Gil Kane recycled that sea monster when he created the Abomination. Of that there can be no question. Not that I mind, seeing as I love Kane's version of the Abomination. But what a strange thing to come across, huh?

If anyone's heard or read anything about this, feel free to post in the comments and let us know. I'd love to know the story behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment